.

Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm a real sucker for these "Unofficial World Champions" but I'd never heard of this one until today - while reading about the Venezeulan national team * no less - holders of the baton quite recently.

It's named after Uruguay's 1930 World Cup winning captain José Nasazzi. (I know it's a totally artificical construct but I like to think of it as the type of artifact that Indiana Jones would unearth)

Uruguay were the first holders in 1930 when they won the World Cup and since then the baton changes hands whenever the current holder is beaten within 90 minutes.**

I'm not sure where I'm going with this topic but the name of this 'trophy' is so fantastic that I feel FIFA needs to acknowledge this as an legitimate piece of silverwear.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/nasazzibaton.html

* beautifully nicknamed La Vinotinto (The Red Wine One)
** which is apparently slightly different to the less romantically named "Unofficial World Champions"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home